Saturday, January 30, 2010

Breathe

This past week for Spirituality Night, one of my community mates asked that we all reflect on what our spirituality means to us. After spending some time in quite meditation, we then expressed our spirituality in some creative form. I chose to write a poem. Since this is my debut on the poetry scene, I thought I would share it on my blog before I go and try to get it published. (Just kidding.)

Here’s what I came up with. I’ll just say that I think it would partner quite nicely with an interpretive dance….

I inhale. 
I sit quietly
I feel the wind all around me
I feel the Spirit all around me
O Great Spirit, breathe your life-giving element into me
Awaken me
Awaken my senses
Enliven my own spirit with
Courage
Strength
Hope
Peace
Joy.

I exhale.
I stand
I am aware of my shortcomings
I feel them gather in my lungs
I breathe out that poisonous air
I release
Fear
Judgment
Anxiety
Pain
Control
I release myself.

I inhale.
I lift my feet
The Great Spirit’s breath carries me away
May I be free like the leaf
Free to dance 
Free to fall
Free to live
Free to be.

I inhale and I exhale, breathing the Breath of Life.

6 comments:

  1. I love it. Glad to hear things are going good. You remain in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Andrea,
    It took me awhile to take in the blog, Call to Duty. The messages and words of this blog spoke to my heart in ways that left me speechless or at a loss of words. Kind of hard to believe huh! I continue to take it in and bring all the intentions to prayer. The children of Nicaragua continue resting in my heart. I am deeply saddened that they cannot know touch like we do. The picture of Jesus and the Little Children continues to come to mind when I reflect on your daily call. Great job recognizing and fulfilling the sacrifice you will need to make for the good of all those whom you share in God’s love with. Following up with this beautiful poem speaks volumes in the understanding and depth you are coming to as you continue your journey. Thank you for sharing. I am grateful for the awareness. As always, love you and love being your Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is beautiful, Andrea! You are a great writer and a great seeker of meaning. (I'm not sure if it was intentional or not, but the stanzas even have a "breathing" shape themselves, expanding and contracting as if alive...)

    Thank you for sharing. I hope the rest of this month continues to bring in both comfort and challenge. Please pray for us as we continue our work here; you're always in our prayers.
    -JMF

    ReplyDelete
  4. My Precious Andrea

    Your words fill my heart with joy and I try to imagine what you feel and experience day to day - but obviously my biggest imagination couldn't compare. I carry you next to me everyday and pray that this journey keeps you safe and that the love and faith you are giving touches as many lives as you can embrace. My words can't express how much pride I have for what you are being called to carryout. I have to admit though, it has been quite exciting to brag about my niece. All my love and prayers! Aunt Paula

    ReplyDelete
  5. Andrea, what a beautiful poem. I think I'll print it out and carry it with me for the next time I need to take a breather.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really enjoyed the poem Andrea. It actually reminded me of a breathing meditation by a Buddhist spiritualist/writer, Thich Nhat Hanh:
    "Breathing in, I calm body & mind. Breathing out, I smile. Dwelling in the present moment, I know that this is the only moment."

    ReplyDelete